Friday 20 July 2018

LARK, Yom Kippur, and paying it forward

From The Editor:

Through my interfaith activities, I have a dear Jewish friend - Av.  This morning, I have received this message and flyer from him through a mutual interfaith friend who is a Sikh, Aunty Jessiee Kaur Singh.

+++++++++++++++++

Shalom to all, especially Rosa,

I felt it might be good if I sent out this reminder that Rosa's 3-days of LARK begin today, Friday, 20 July. the flier is again attached...

A Very Little LARK... G-d works in mysterious ways
I would like to share my LARK moment of yesterday... thought I would start a day early (but still share it today!)
  • I found myself in a little family-owned cafe that I rarely frequent (2 staff, 3 when busy)... and the shop was having a busy moment.
  • I ordered 2 coffees and a pastry for me and a friend, handing them a $20 note.
  • I wasn't sure - but guessed the total bill would be maybe $14-16 - so I expected about $5 change
  • The shop assistant handed me all 3 items, and some $12 change, which whilst carrying my shopping, I didn't count!
  • I had already walked out the shop, when I looked at the change, and thought to myself
    • There seems to be too much change
    • I recalculated what I'd ordered - and was sure I'd received too much change!
    • I will be honest -  for a moment I tried to rationalise & tell myself "this is my lucky day!" & should I keep going down the street...?
    • Funds continue to be lacking in my life - I could buy 2 more coffees later...
    • At that moment, I remembered Rosa's LARK project...
  • I went back into the shop and politely pointed out the situation
  • Yes, they'd forgotten to charge me for the pastry, thanked me for being honest, and corrected the change
  • I felt strongly the LARK message all around...
  • Later on... I told this story at my usual cafe... and there the staff and I got immersed in a conversation about ethics... which got us discussing all manner of ways to be honest... debating scenarios like what if it happened in bigger shops like Coles... what if a vending machine overpaid... etc.
  • I believe these other people will now spend their next few days thinking about honesty, ethics... and passing the conversation forward...
All because Rosa reminded us to be kind (and honest) especially on these days... Thank you!

The moral perhaps - We can "Pay It Forward"...  Even When We "Pay It Back"!

Shabbat Shalom, 
Tsom Kal (Fast Effectively - to those that fast this Saturday night/Sunday)
Avraham

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
Postscript from The Editor:
Our Jewish friends have been  in the midst of Yom Kippur 
which explains the fasting reference in Av's greeting.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Beside The Creek does not accept Anonymous comment. All comments are moderated.